The AMSP 2015-2025 was approved in April 2015 at the 9th ministerial meeting in Iqaluit, Canada.
The goals of the 2015-2025 Arctic Marine Strategic Plan are to:
- Goal 1: Improve knowledge of the Arctic marine environment, and continue to monitor and assess current and future impacts on Arctic marine ecosystems.
- Goal 2: Conserve and protect ecosystem function and marine biodiversity to enhance resilience and the provision of ecosystem services.
- Goal 3: Promote safe and sustainable use of the marine environment, taking into account cumulative environmental impacts.
- Goal 4: Enhance the economic, social and cultural well-being of Arctic inhabitants, including Arctic indigenous peoples and strengthen their capacity to adapt to changes in the Arctic marine environment.
|AMSP - Implementation Plan||AMSP - Communication Plan|
|The aim of the Implementation Plan for the AMSP 2015-2025 forty strategic actions is to provide a structured approach that tracks follow-up activities (new and ongoing) over the next 10 years among the Arctic Council working groups with overall guidance from the SAOs.||The 2015 Arctic Marine Strategic Plan calls for the development of a communication plan to support the understanding and involvement in the implementation of the Strategic plan.|
Arctic Marine Strategic Plan 2005-2015
The Arctic Marine Strategic Plan (AMSP) was endorsed by Arctic Council Ministers in November 2004. The Arctic Council's vision for the Arctic marine environment is:
"A healthy and productive Arctic Ocean and coasts that support environmental, economic and sociocultural values for current and future generations."
The goals of this Strategic Plan were:
- Reduce and prevent pollution in the Arctic marine environment
- Conserve Arctic marine biodiversity and ecosystem functions
- Promote the health and prosperity of all Arctic inhabitants
- Advance sustainable Arctic marine resource use
Download the report
Download booklet - Concise version of the report and the project